Friday, January 13, 2012

Awakening the Heart

Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy by Sarah Ban Breathnach has a wonderful entry for January 13th. I have had this book for awhile and I decided on January 1st that I should to commit to reading the daily entry every day. When I read it today, I thought of so many people that are experiencing problems with money including myself. It was one of those "wow" moments.

Today's entry talks of how we all yearn for financial security, which makes us depressed because in today's economic reality, there is none. Instead of focusing on financial security, we should focus on financial serenity. Here's a quote from today's entry: "When I surrendered my desire for security and sought serenity instead, I looked at my life with open eyes. I saw that I had much for which to be grateful. I felt humbled by my riches and regretted that I took for granted the abundance that already existed in my life. How could I expect more from the Universe when I didn't appreciate what I already had?" She goes on and makes an inventory of her life's assets, which doesn't include money, and finds she is very wealthy.

So, in today's contemplation, lets stop yearning for more and look at what we have. Make a list of all the wonderful things in your life that you are grateful for and smile because you have so much. I am grateful for my wonderful husband of 26 years, my four boys, my soon to be 4 grandchildren, my cuddly pets, all my family and friends, and the food and shelter I have, which so many do not have. So, in reality, I am truly very wealthy.

1 comment: