Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Dreaming of planting

 

On this very cold day, I'm just sitting here dreaming of warmth and a start to the growing season. We had a good crop last year and I managed to freeze shredded zucchini and make some sweet pickles. So today I'm going to browse through my seed catalogs and decide what I want to plant. I need to find a better variety of corn. We planted Golden Bantam corn and it was ruined by Japanese Beetles. And our other corn wasn't touched but was lacking in size. I tried the heirloom lemon cucumbers, which gave a bumper crop, but I didn't find they had a lemony taste. I probably won't do them again this year.

 
 
I also want to do a little landscaping. I have been admiring these bunny tails which are from www.seedsavers.org. I love this catalog!  I'm going to try a few more heirlooms this year but hardly know where to start since there are so many. So today I dream and in a few weeks I will start seeds and encourage my new little ones to produce an abundant season.

I hope to make this a very productive year so that I can enjoy my harvest well into the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment